A career in cyber security is one of the most sought-after roles in organizations today. This is due to the seemingly-swift arrival of the digital age. Technological advancements, AI, digital transactions and online platforms have resulted in a massive increase in cyber traffic and in turn, cyber-crime. Cyber security is therefore essential to any organisation which conducts business or stores information online.
Cyber breaches are predicted to increase. The shift to working remotely propelled by the COVID-19 crisis has increased the need for cyber security as employees now access business networks from home, and not from the security of the office network where there are firewalls in place to protect company data. This means that the need for cyber security professionals has escalated, possibly exponentially.
Wikipedia describes cyber security as,” the protection of computer systems and networks from the theft of or damage to hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.”
AES Global Recruitment explores a career in cyber security
The role of cyber security professionals
Cyber security professionals are the frontline defence force of their company regarding computer-related business. To protect their business, company’s need highly skilled and experienced people to analyze, monitor and pro-actively defend their software, networks and systems.
Cyber security jobs could entail various fields of work or could constitute one job function on a larger scale.
To become skilled at cyber security officer you need education in information technology, cyber security or some IT-related courses. Once you have upskilled you will then need to work your way through the various levels of the spectrum of cyber security. You will also need to gain hands-on experience to excel in this dynamic industry.
On the journey of working your way up, you will most likely discover the direction you would like to pursue and aim to become an expert in that specified area within the cyber security industry.
According to Cyber Security Education, a career in cyber security consists of the following, “On the job, you can expect to safeguard an organization’s files and network, install firewalls, create security plans and monitor activity.”
What cyber security careers are out there?
The world is a system made up of all kinds of companies. In the 21st century digital transformation is no longer optional it is a necessity. This has created myriad opportunities across many sectors for technology professionals. Cyber security plays a major role and there are a vast number of avenues you could explore within a cyber security career.
Here are a few cyber security roles to explore when considering your career goals:
- Security specialist – Protects company software and network security systems.
- Incident responder – Prevents and responds swiftly to any issues or breaches within a company’s network security or software systems.
- Security administrator – Understands the security system of a company and ensures it is running smoothly all the time.
- Vulnerability assessor – Searches for and analyzes any vulnerabilities in systems and finds solutions.
- Cryptographer – Writes the code for the programs that protect the company’s systems.
- Security manager – Manages and delegates security protocols to the team to safeguard the system.
- Security Architect – Designs security systems to protect against cyber-attacks.
- Ethical Hacker – Hacks into company systems to detect vulnerabilities.
- Security consultant – Assesses company’s security risks and prescribes solutions.
Why should I consider a career in cyber security?
- A high number of job vacancies and the certainty of employment is a major contributor to the attraction of the IT field. amongst the other fantastic reasons to look into a career in cyber security.
- Within the various cyber security job roles, there are many levels, this means you can work your way up to become CISO, should you wish to. Or any other cyber-crime-fighting role.
- There is also the matter of continuous growth, development and evolution. The cyber security space is continuously changing, as a cyber security professional you will constantly be challenged to upskill, upgrade and stay on top of new trends and developments within information technology to best be able to protect companies from cyber-attacks.
- As a highly skilled occupation, cyber security jobs pay well and of course, this is important in a world where inflation will only continue upstream.
“AES Global recruitment provides bespoke and consultative values-led recruitment services. Our industry knowledge, extensive networks and passion for these sectors ensure we are market leaders.” Contact us today to connect with the right people for your career needs.